NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, October 3, 2016

Saying Goodbye and Other Things That Make Authors Cry

Being an author is a peculiar profession. It requires allowing the entire world an opportunity to look inside your mind and publicly announce what they think of it. It's like going grocery shopping naked, and inviting whoever happened to be there to review your every stretch mark and cellulite dimple.

WHO WOULD DO THIS?

Well, me. Us. Authors. The innately, irrevocably cuckoo ones who long to create more than we care about the penalty for creating. For me, the author-life is an extremely emotional and soul-baring experience.

Here are just a few writerly things that have made me cry in the last 30 days:

1. I got a glowing review for an upcoming release!
Image result for happy emoticons images
2. I got a loathing review for an existing release.
Image result for sad emoticons images
3. I balled my eyes out while researching the Great Depression.
Image result for sad emoticons images
4. I was invited to attend a book festival where I will meet RL Stine!
Image result for happy emoticons images
5. I wrote a proposal that flopped.
Image result for sad emoticons images
6. I got a new contract offer!
Image result for happy emoticons images
7. I arrived in New Orleans for the World Mystery Convention!
Image result for happy emoticons images
8. I had to leave New Orleans following the World Mystery Convention.
Image result for sad emoticons images
9. My new release: A Geek Girl's Guide to Justice is finally here!
Image result for happy emoticons images
10. A Geek Girl's Guide to Justice is finally here, and it's the last book in the series
Image result for sad emoticons images

Basically, my author life is an emotional mess, and I'm on a perpetual roller coaster of acceptance and rejection. I'm wound up, stressed out, and passing my pajamas for casual wear these days. I'm sleep deprived, caffeine addicted and probably less than twenty-four hours from my next outburst, but I'm happy. I'm chasing my dreams and embracing all that comes with it because I'm an author, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mia Connors finally has this #adulting thing under control. She's set to launch a massive project at work, her social calendar is filling up and, if you can believe it, she might finally get the guy. But when one of her grandparents' close friends is discovered floating in the lake—D-E-A-D—all she's after is justice. And there's only one person who can make that happen.

Deputy US Marshal Jake Archer is working undercover when he gets the call about a murder in Horseshoe Falls. The vic may have been close with Mia's family, but it doesn't take long for Jake to discover that he had far more enemies than friends.

Horseshoe Falls is abuzz with news of the murder, and Mia's determined to get to the bottom of things, despite Jake's direct order to stand back. Jake didn't open his heart to the possibility of a future with someone just to let her get herself killed. Now they have to contain the panic within Horseshoe Falls, apprehend the fugitive and figure out how to salvage their relationship—before Mia finds herself in the crosshairs.







9 comments:

jean harrington said...

A fun post, Julie. Congratulations on the release and the end of a successful series. A cause for celebration!

jmvarner50@gmail.com said...

I loved A Geek Girl's Guide to Justice. I'm sad to see the series end but I loved every minute. Thank you!

Anne Marie Becker said...

Mapping out your "authorly" experiences in emojis definitely gives me the feeling I'm on a roller coaster! LOL Oh wait...I AM on that same roller coaster. Yes, we're definitely crazy, but what a ride. ;)

Julie Anne Lindsey said...

Thanks everyone! It gives me great comfort to know I'm in good company :)

Elise Warner said...

Congratulations, Julie. Loved the emojis. Fun blog.

Rita said...

Yeaph! That's us. Great post!

Marcelle Dubé said...

Too much fun, Julie! And congratulations on the last of a successful series. On to the next one!

Toni Anderson said...

LOL! Great post. Good luck with the next book :) :( :P

Sandy Parks said...

Love the emoticons depicting the truth of a writer's life. A perfect way to present it. Enjoy the release of your new book!

More Popular Posts