NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, October 31, 2016

Boo!

Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen,
Voices whisper in the trees, "Tonight is Halloween!"
...Dexter Kozen

I have a confession to make--I'm a horror gal. Since the day I discovered a pile of pulp mags under a bed in my grandparents' house, I've been a shameless devotee of ghoulies and ghosties and things that go bump in the night. But I'm most fond of monsters, which is why I love Halloween.

As a kid I always felt a rush of excitement when the Halloween decorations appeared in stores. That's changed a bit, especially now that the skeletons and costumes show up around the Fourth of July. And each year the trick-or-treaters are fewer in number and most Halloween parties for kids are most likely to be called the "Harvest Festival" or "Corn Maze Party." Somehow the adults have claimed the night for themselves and stripped it of any real fun for the kids. But I don't them ruin my fun.

October 31 is All Hallows Eve,the night when the monster hiding under the bed comes out to play. 


A ghoul friend of mine once told me that life's no fun without a good scare. In the spirit of Halloween,  I offer three creepy tales involving a few of my favorite monsters.


Vampire


Perhaps the preeminent creature of the night is the vampire, the ultimate seducer who offers eternal life, with a catch. Like most people, I first encountered vampires in the movies. However, Bela Lugosi's Dracula never did much for me--he looked too much like a waiter. 
"Today's special is pan seared Chilean Bass
in a balsamic reduction..."

But Christopher Lee's hissing count scared the heck out of me. I watched most of Horror of Dracula with my hands partially covering my eyes, afraid to look, but unable to turn away.

But it was only when I read Bram Stoker's Dracula that I felt the cold hand of fear. There was always a sexual component to Dracula, who both attracts and repels. I imagine this passage was pretty strong stuff to Stoker's Victorian readers: 

There was a deliberate voluptuousness that was both thrilling and repulsive. As she arched her neck she actually licked her lips like an animal til I could see in the moonlight the moisture that lapped the white, sharp teeth. Lower and lower went her head. I closed my eyes in a languorous ecstasy and waited.
The vampire offers sex, but it is  debased and bestial, cut off from the human. And I think Stoker touches on the primal fear that animates much of horror--the fear of losing one's humanity. Nowadays vampires have morphed from bloodsucking monsters into someone's prom date! For years I  despaired of seeing a pair of fangs I could relate to, until I found Enter, Night by Michael Rowe.

It's a briskly told tale of ancient, toothy horrors, with an ending that is both heartbreaking and transcendent. If you're hungry for a really good vampire story, this one's for you.

Zombie

Zombie flash mob in London


Zombies are all the rage these days. Did you know there's even a subgenre of literature called zombie lit. Popularity aside, I don't find anything particularly frightening about these plodding creatures. To me they're just one-trick ponies on the lookout for fresh brains. Give me an old-school zombie any day, one created by a Voudou  priestess on a moonlit night.

Which brings me to one of the most frightening short stories I've even read: Pigeons from Hell by Robert E. Parker. The story's set in a deserted plantation haunted by ghostly pigeons, and something else. Stephen Kings calls "Pigeons from Hell" to be "one of the finest horror stories of our century". As usual in matters of horror, King is right.

Ghost
Can they feel, I wonder, those white
silent people we call the dead?
                        ...Oscar Wilde

Ancient and enduring, the  first ghost appeared at some primeval campfire  when one of our ancestors told the first ghost story. More than other monsters, the ghost is a sturdy literary device and pops up in all sorts of fiction, from Shakespeare to Dickens to David Mitchell. But a Halloween ghost always means mischief  and there is no more malicious spirit than The Woman in Black.

Susan Hill's novel is the source for the excellent film of the same name. The narrative's framed as a Christmas Eve ghost story, much as Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. Like James, Hill conjures an atmosphere of escalating dread and isolation. The horror rises to a shattering and unexpected conclusion. 

Psychologists like to theorize why people like me love horror. In his theory of archetypes,  Carl Jung believed that all humans inherited a set of primordial images that are contained in the collective unconscious, and that horror evokes these archetypes. Maybe, but I read ghost stories and watch horror films because I like them. 

So tonight, after the last trick-or-treater has come and gone, I'll pour a glass of blood-red wine and read one of the old tales, one guaranteed to send a shiver down my spine. 

Happy Halloween!




4 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

Oh, what a perfect way to start my Halloween! ;) This reminded me of how, in third grade, I became obsessed with ghost stories. I read every one my school library had, and then the public library. I graduated to Nancy Drew soon after, and then Stephen King kept me company throughout high school. Thanks for the holiday chills! :D

Rita said...

Wonderful post! I don't really care to be scared comatose. I prefer the stories and tales that make me keep the lights on at night.

Marcelle Dubé said...

Halloween is NOT my favourite time of year; I spend my time muting the scary ads on t.v., walking quickly past the scary books in the bookstores and whistling loudly in the dark. Did I mention that I'm a scaredy cat?

jean harrington said...

A perfect post for the occasion, Daryl. My favorite passage in it is:"Psychologists like to theorize why people like me love horror. In his theory of archetypes, Carl Jung believed that all humans inherited a set of primordial images that are contained in the collective unconscious, and that horror evokes these archetypes. Maybe, but I read ghost stories and watch horror films because I like them."

I like 'em too, and I like your theory.

More Popular Posts