NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

What the Heck is a Bouchercon Anyway?

The wiki answer is: Bouchercon is the World Mystery Convention.


To get more specific, I’ll quote the website: “The World Mystery Convention is a nonprofit, all-volunteer organization which holds an annual convention in honor of Anthony Boucher, the distinguished mystery fiction critic, editor and author. It is the world's premier event bringing together all parts of the mystery and crime fiction community, and is commonly referred to as Bouchercon. [bough'·chur·con]” http://www.bouchercon.info/


For me personally, as a crime fiction author and voracious reader of the genre, Bouchercon is like coming home. Uhm. To a traveling home. Bouchercon visits another city every year. I’ve attended once in Cleveland and this year I’m headed to the Big Easy. New Orleans, baby!


I’m excruciatingly thrilled by this because 1. I LOVE New Orleans and 2. My new cozy mystery series is set in the city’s famed Garden District. Better still? The convention is just weeks before the release of book 1 in that series, Cat Got Your Diamonds. So, I’m over-the-top giddy right now. If the title isn’t cute enough, it’s part of the Kitty Couture series. Ha! I smile every time I say it. It’s adorable and fantastic.



But back to Bouchercon. The 2016 convention is lovingly titled Blood on the Bayou and is being attended by a number of immensely talented authors including Heather Graham and Harlan Coban. You’ll find me at Kids Day fangirling all over the infamous R.L. Stine. My family and I are bananas over his Goosebumps books. I love him. *winks* *whispers* Call me.



When I’m not signing my own books and buying enough new tomes to fill a second suitcase, I’ll be joinng in a second line parade (part of Bouchercon) to a historic theatre for the coveted Anthony Awards. I’ve also got tickets for the 8th Annual Queen of Burlesque show. (not part of Bouchercon) But I mean…while I’m in New Orleans, right?

I plan to see all my favorite sites again. Take my husband on this awesome Segway tour. And do lots of fresh research for the books in my new series. 


Are any of you planning to attend Bouchercon? I hope I’ll see some of you there. 


4 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

Wow, it sounds like you're going to have SO MUCH FUN! :D I've heard about Boucheron for years, but haven't made it to one yet. And your new series does sound adorable and fantastic! Sounds like your autumn will be off to a great start.

Toni Anderson said...

This does look fabulous!

jean harrington said...

Julie, I agree, New Orleans is fabulous. A great place to set a series.

Rita said...

Keep thinking about going. Next year is Toronto maybe then. You new series sounds fantastic.

More Popular Posts